Norman Safeground Blogs

insight, opinion & information

 
 

Websites Giving 600% More Viruses This Year

There’s more bad news for computer users (so that means everyone, everywhere), as research from security firm WebSense has shown that the number of websites that serve computer viruses to visitors is up 600% – in just one year!

What’s worse is that while 15% of these websites were built to specifically to serve malware, the other 85% are just innocent webpages that have been infected by hackers looking to spread viruses to computer users.

Coming face-to-face with malware is becoming increasingly normal for computer users, so aside from just trying to avoid causes of malware, it’s vital to learn how to get rid of it. After all, if someone else uses your computer, you can’t be sure if they surf the web safely.

To make sure you’re as safe as possible, follow these simple tips:

1. Keep your software up-to-date

If your computer has out-of-date software, it’s much more likely to fall victim to a computer exploit, such as malware. The biggest candidates are Java (which is a software used by other pieces of software), Microsoft Office and your operating system – whether that’s Windows Vista, 7, 8 or OSX. Be sure to install updates as soon as they are available. And if you’re running Windows XP, you really need to upgrade,

2. Ensure you have good virus protection

Obviously we recommend Norman Anti-Virus protection to keep your computer safe – and not just because we make it. Anti-virus software is vital; not only does it check incoming files for viruses, but it also removes any infected files from your computer if they’ve already been installed.

3. Back up your files

Should the worst happen and your computer has a serious infection, you could lose all your data. Therefore it’s vital to make sure you’ve backed up your files before malware strikes. Which means now!

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

 
 
Norman

The Author:

Made up of various contributors' opinions and insights - the power of the collective.

For Consumption Bloggers

Norman Safeground Blogs Archive